Bay Area Barns and Trails (BABT) assists landowners and land managers with preservation and maintenance of publicly accessible barns, stables, pastures, staging areas, horse camps, and trails throughout Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Mateo, San Francisco, Santa Clara, Solano, and Sonoma Counties.
Bay Area Barns and Trails was incorporated as a California non-profit corporation in November 1999. Since 2000 BABT has helped conservation minded equestrians preserve and restore natural areas and wildlife habitat, maintain parks and public open space, equestrian facilities, trails and trailheads by awarding approximately $390,000 in matching funds to thirty-nine land trusts, agencies and/or equestrian organizations.
With these awards BABT continues our mission preserving and protecting public access to stables and trails in the Bay Area.
- Access Adventure: Access Adventure: Maintenance and repairs on the equestrian facilities at Rush Ranch.
- Chaparral Corporation : Repair Bercut arena in Golden Gate Park.
- Concord Mt. Diablo Trail Ride Association: Manure management, cement manure pads.
- Daily Acts: Workshop with Alayne Bickle to teach water quality and best practices for equestrian and confined animal facilities.
- Friends of Huddart Wunderlich Parks : Education program to help visitors learn about trail etiquette/safety using a mini horse, as a park ambassador & teacher.
- Halleck Creek Ranch : Halleck Creek Ranch: Gutters and French drain to filter and divert contaminated water away from the creek.
- Marin Stables and Trails: Culvert replacement across the creek.
- Orinda Horsemen’s Association : Construction of a supply shelter for emergency fire suppression/medical equipment, tools and horse supplies.
- Pt.Reyes Morgan Horse Ranch: Facility and fencing repairs along the Morgan Horse Trail.
- Sonoma County Regional Parks Foundation: Equestrian parking lot construction at Helen Putnam Park.
- Volunteers for Outdoor California: Organizational support.
In addition to the above grants, in 2020 BABT has helped support the Bay Area Ridge Trail and has assisted others with Special Circumstance grants.